I have to pinch myself when I ponder the concept of the clock ticking to 2024 in just days. Where has the time gone? As each year passes, I always aim to reach those new year’s goals, and truthfully some I am still working on each day, year after year like being a better runner or learning an instrument at my old age.
As we look forward to 2024, it is good to be mindful of realistic and obtainable goals. Not all resolutions have to be grand and outstanding. Small declarations often become the goals we achieve due to their attainable value.
For many, health and wellness is a favorite arena for goal setting. People often strive for less stress, decreased lethargy, more energy, increased happiness, and healthier life choices.
In the following paragraph I share some recommendations of activities that may help one achieve their goals on a short-term basis, but with long-term effects.
- Get involved in a local volunteer organization that you care about. Research shows that volunteering promotes life satisfaction and overall happiness.
- Read some inspiring books by motivating authors from Brene Brown, Mel Robbins, Oprah or Lewis Howes.
- Make self-care a habit from a bath with essential oils, to learning yoga and meditation, and starting a daily journal.
- Treat yourself to daily walks in nature. Studies suggest that being outdoors can positively impact the body and soul simultaneously.
- Make water your best friend. Drink it, and drink it often. A hydrated brain and body can quickly reduce stress and lethargy.
- Eat mindfully, but enjoy a good sweet or an indulgent dish, too. The key is a balance, not extremity.
For 2024, choose a new behaviour or activity as your goal and attend to it consistently. Share and track your progress with a trusted source and re-set as need for life does happen.
This year, for me, one of my goals is getting better at yoga through structured me-time at a studio that offers a peaceful setting. Another major goal is learning to cook meals beyond salmon and roasted chicken, and to inspire my inner Julia Child to relish in the joy and craft of food preparation.
No matter your goal, consistency will augment the resolutions long-term impact and success, and be sure to celebrate the small steps along the way.
Wishing all a peaceful, happy and joyful new year.
📸: Getty Images