Summer is here, a time when we embrace the ever-needed vacation both mentally and physically. Ironically, the summer can still be challenging because we are trying to fit everything in. So, what can you do about it? Use this season to catch-up on self-care to simmer the summer tizzies.
As you consider incorporating wellness routines into your summer agenda, start gradually and allow each new practice to marinate. Mindfulness activities worth considering are clean eating, meditation, yoga, journaling, and aromatherapy.
Aromatherapy is a hot topic worthy of extra mention. While many want to know its benefits, others remain unsure about oil practices. A great place to start learning about aromatherapy is from your oily buddy. Putting forth the time to talk and learn about oils will heighten your awareness of new self-care routines and wellness choices.
What many don’t know about essential oils is their multi-faceted purpose. More than just a fragrance, oils can be used when creating your own beauty supplies, cooking your favorite recipes, and practicing meditation and yoga to create a stronger spiritual connection.
Essential oils (from Young Living) are 100% pure, all-natural ingredients extracted directly from plants, however, the true magic of any oil is how it blends with your own body’s chemistry to support your health and well-being goals.
As we enter the summer season it’s key to find the time and space from the daily hustle so that you can hone in on your health goals, allowing you to refocus and realign with mindfulness habits.
Here are a combination of oil and non-oil based rituals for your summer wellness and self-care:
1. Get outside and embrace nature. Smell the fresh air and listen to the birds or the sound of the wind, and be grateful for your ability to soak in the sights and sounds of the season.
2. Drink water. Then drink more water. Having a well-hydrated brain and body is one of the best ways to relieve and prevent stress and anxiety.
3. Grab a good ol’ hard copy book and read. To increase the calm, diffuse Purification oil for a peaceful and relaxing environment.
4. Take a warm bath with lavender oil and meditation music in the background. Allow yourself this solo retreat to let your mind and body rewind.
5. Exercise daily. Whether it be a 30-minute walk or 5K run, just keep moving. For added motivation, inhale some peppermint oil to rev up your energy.
6. Meditate at least two times a day in five-minute increments while inhaling an essential oil at the onset of the practice. Meditation mixed with oils allows your brain and body to slow down, relax and reconnect with your inner guide.
7. Whip out a cookbook and learn a new recipe. With the Vitality oils line, oils such as lemon add great zest to chicken and fish dishes.
8. Embrace your creative side and attend a pottery class. Art has the innate ability to naturally ease and soothe the mind-body connection.
9. Grab a pen and paper and write. The practice of writing is a natural way to release your thoughts and emotions in a safe and sacred place.
10. If you need a dose of motivation, plug into a podcast by Tony Robbins, Gretchen Rubin or many others for encouragement in your everyday life.
So, take your pick of these health-conscious suggestions that will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the summer season. Remember to reward yourself with the self-care you deserve. Self-care is not selfish, it is mandatory for your mental health.